Conference of the Parties to the CETS 198 has limited RF’s rights
On January 16, 2023, the decision following the results of the Plenary meeting (November 15-17, 2022), in which the representative of the State Financial Monitoring Service of Ukraine participated on-line, was published on the official website of the Conference of the Parties to the Council of Europe’s Convention on Laundering, Search, Seizure and Confiscation of the Proceeds from Crime and on the Financing of Terrorism (Warsaw Convention).
At the meeting, according to the agenda, a number of important issues have been considered, in particular on:
- - implementation of the provisions of the Warsaw Convention by the State Parties;
- - draft amendments to the FATF Recommendations 4 and 38;
- - examples of practical application by State Parties of Article 10 of the Convention, etc.
However, the consideration of the issue on application of sanctions against the Russian Federation (the RF) by the participants of the Conference of the Parties to the Convention was the most important for Ukraine.
As a result, according to the published decision, the following limitations were applied to the RF:
- - the RF shall not have the right to vote on any issues, which do not concern the statutory functions of the Conference;
- - participation of the RF in the Conference sessions shall be online only;
- - the RF shall not be allowed to chair the Conference of the Parties or any of its sub-committees or working groups, nor to be a member of the Bureau of the Conference of the Parties, nor to stand for election for any of these functions;
- - the RF’s representative shall not be entrusted with any task of rapporteur, coordinator, head of a delegation representing the Conference of the Parties or anything equivalent.
In addition, the participants of the meeting adopted amendments in the context of giving the President of the Conference the right to regulate the behaviour of the participants of the meeting, if they deviate from the topic of discussion, or relevant procedural restrictions.
The SFMS, within its powers, will continue to take further measures in the context of imposing sanctions on the RF for its full-scale, unprovoked armed aggression (bloody war) against peaceful Ukraine.